The Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update is recommended for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard versions 10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4, and 10.5.5. It includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.
- Improves reliability of Address Book syncing with iPhone and other devices and applications.
- Improves the reliability of AirPort connections, including improvements when roaming in large wireless networks with an Intel-based Mac.
- Improves reliability of synchronizing files on a portable home directory.
- Fixes an issue in Mac OS X 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 in which managed users may not see printers that use the Generic PPD.
- Client computers that use UUID-based ByHost preferences now respect managed Screen Saver settings.
- Addresses an issue that could cause an encryption alert to appear in the chat window.
- Setting your iChat status to “invisible” via AppleScript no longer logs you out of iChat.
- Resolves an issue in which pasting text from a Microsoft Office document could insert an image rather than text.
- Includes general improvements to gaming performance.
- Includes graphics improvements for iChat, Cover Flow, Aperture, and iTunes.
- Includes fixes for possible graphics distortion issues with certain ATI graphics cards.
- Includes overall performance and reliability fixes.
- Improves Connection Doctor accuracy.
- Fixes an issue that could cause messages identified as junk to remain in the inbox.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to append a character to the file extension of an attachment.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Mail from quitting.
- Improves reliability when printing PDF attachments.
- Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.
- Improves Apple File Service performance, especially when using a home directory hosted on an AFP server. Important: If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.6 (client) to connect to a Mac OS X Server 10.4-based server, it is strongly recommended that you update the server to Mac OS X Server version 10.4.11.
- Improves the performance and reliability of TCP connections.
- Improves reliability and performance for AT&T 3G cards.
- Updates the ssh Terminal command for compatibility with more ssh servers.
- Improves printing for the Adobe CS3 application suite.
- Improves printing for USB-based Brother and Canon printers.
- Addresses an issue in which a parentally-controlled account could be unable to access the iTunes Store.
- Includes general fixes for time limits.
- Resolves an issue that prevented adding allowed websites from Safari via drag and drop.
- Fixes issues that could cause Time Machine to state the backup volume could not be found.
- Improves Time Machine reliability with Time Capsule.
- Improves compatibility with web proxy servers.
- Includes Mac OS X security improvements. See this website for more information.
- Addresses inaccuracies with Calculator when the Mac OS X language is set to German or Swiss German.
- Improves the performance and reliability of Chess.
- Improves DVD Player performance and reliability.
- Performance improvements for iCal are included.
- Fixes an issue when running the New iCal Events Automator action as an applet.
- Adds a Trackpad System Preference pane for portable Macs.
- Improves compatibility with smart cards such as the U.S. Department of Defense Common Access Card.
- Updates time zone data and Daylight Saving Time rules for several countries.